Monday, February 27, 2012

Recovery through Grace

I am doubting today whether the world needs yet another 12 Step program. The initial name for this blog was "Catholic Twelve Step Program," but I have changed it to "Paths of Grace". Yesterday I wrote that a restoration of sanctifying grace is what would most help both those seeking recovery from addiction and their loved ones. I don't know exactly what kind of "program" might come out of following such a path. A Catholic could certainly apply his faith to the 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous and its affiliated groups, being aware that the program is one of spiritual indifferentism. But there are issues with the content of the steps themselves, and that's what I want to begin to explore.

God is certainly integral to the 12 Steps, albeit in no particular form. But the worship of God is absent. Now, the AA or Al-Anon 12 Step program should not be a worship service. The doors are open to people of any religion or none, and the groups follow no religious creed. A Catholic would need to incorporate worship into his program privately and by attending Mass. "Paths to Grace," the name by which I will refer to my program for now, would of course incorporate worship.

To my way of thinking, the release of a person from the bondage of addiction (or obsessive thinking and emotional disturbance, in the case of the loved ones) must be perceived as a sort of salvation. This is achieved through God's grace by a living faith working in love. One actively participates in an ongoing renewal of faith, guided in his thoughts and behaviors by the indwelling Holy Spirit. He or she is, in short, made holy. It is sanctifying grace that one needs to achieve permanent sobriety and emotional, psychological, and spiritual wholeness. Worship of God is integral to this salvation. This goes way beyond Step 11, which is seeking conscious contact with God through prayer and meditation, "praying only for knowledge of God's will for us and the power to carry that out." Is that all we should be praying for? What about other people, the sick and poor, our leaders, our children, widows? What about our threatened environment and God's other creatures? What about praying for peace and morality and the value of all life? It's not all about you or me. We need to get outside ourselves.

The 12 Steps culminate in experiencing a "spiritual awakening" as the result of these steps. So the 12th step is not really a step at all, but the hoped for culmination of the first eleven. A spiritual awakening is not something a person can do. Rather, it is a mystical experience resulting from a transcendent unity with God that is sometimes ecstatic. Not everyone has such experiences. Smaller "ah" moments, where something clicks, a light bulb goes on, so to speak, are more common for most people. Something is illuminated; a moment of clarity is achieved. Then what? Typically you do the steps over and over, going deeper as you come back to them. Then what? The common wisdom is that you practice them, and regularly attend meetings, forever.  Some members' whole lives are centered around the program. It takes up an inordinate amount of time, and the fear of relapse (even for the nonalcoholic loved one, in his own way) and subsequent threat of insanity and/or death, is always hanging over one's head. The idea of powerlessness prevails, and the addict can never live a normal life without the program. But I will expand upon all that at another time.

A possible, alternative support group model might be built on something like the breastfeeding circle I attended when I lived in Columbus. A lactation consultant presided over the meeting, but mostly she was just available to answer questions and offer her expertise on whatever topics came up. Mostly the mothers shared their knowledge, advice, wisdom, experience, and support with each other in an informal way. You could go to meetings whenever you wanted. When you were done breastfeeding, you stopped going. Perhaps a Catholic spiritual director could preside over Paths of Grace meetings in a similar way.

There could also be literature available for other relevant resources, such as treatment centers, doctors, psychiatrists and therapists who would work cooperatively with the group. The approach would be more holistic, preparing a person to live a life of wholeness and permanent sobriety (and permanent abstinence may not be necessary in every case). Basic concepts could be written to guide people to recovery from a Catholic perspective, incorporating the sacraments of the Church. A daily reader, or meditation book, on how to cope with particular emotions and situations could be available. The group would not be alone. Another thing missing from AA and similar groups is the equivalent of a magisterium, or teaching office, to interpret the program, with authority regarding how it is practiced. This results in all sorts of problems, some of which I have previously covered and will continue to explore. (It has been suggested that such an authoritative office would destroy AA, so we will leave it alone and seek another path.)

My sincere hope is that in my re-evaluation of the 12 Steps, together with my continued exploration of Catholicism, the teachings of the Church may provide what is missing for those living in the hell of active addiction, as well as for those families and friends affected by such disorders.

2 comments:

  1. Decided to read your first post in order to get a better idea of how your blog came about. Wow, this is such an answer to prayer! I have felt the same way and have had the same exact issues with AA that you described. The problem is, who do you talk to? I certainly am not going to tell another AA member who's whole life is the program. I have tried doing that in a round about way and it wasn't good. Yesterday I began thinking that it must be me who is wrong-I just need to join and accept the AA way as a path to humility. That is so depressing though. I've prayed for someone who will understand. My sponsor did and she brought me back to the faith but she relapsed two years ago and since then I've tried living the faith and attending meetings where there is an indifference toward worship. I have just dealt with it and have searched for ways to continue to grow spiritually on my own by extensive practicing my faith. Now I'm in a bit of a crisis mode and have actually prayed to God that since no one is here to lead me or at least understand both my supposed alcoholic mind and Catholicism then it must mean I need to submit to AA instead of continuing on with this battle. I've often wondered if my hope in Christ for true healing somehow is my ego trying to tell me I'm somehow special, therefore I need to become indifferent like others I see in the program. It doesn't look like wholeness to me but that is what everyone seems to say it is. Please keep going with your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really deep, complicated stuff, isn't it? I am so glad you are encouraging me in this writing. The only other responses I have received are from a few family members on Facebook, and none were positive. I don't know ultimately of any other hope for true healing than through Christ. I don't see how that could be your ego, as long as you have a "live and let live" attitude toward others. In AA and Al-Anon, you take what you like and leave the rest. If you find help in the AA program, I would suggest getting what you can from it while rejecting anything that conflicts with your faith. Submitting to God, not to a man made program, seems the best choice to me. Try praying about these issues on the Rosary, on a daily basis. Many insights and answers come to me at those times. I'm very sorry for the loss of your sponsor in your life. Keep praying for the person you need to mentor you. An old saying goes, "When the student is ready, the teacher appears."

    ReplyDelete